Monday, February 1, 2010

The Fringe Benefits of Failure, and the Importance of Imagination by JK Rowling @ Harvard Commencement, 5 June 2008

Harry Potter (character)Image via Wikipedia


At her Harvard University commencement speech, "Harry Potter" author JK Rowling offers some powerful, heartening advice to dreamers and overachievers, including one hard-won lesson that she deems "worth more than any qualification I ever earned."


Climbing out of poverty by your own efforts, that is indeed something on which to pride yourself, but poverty itself is romanticised only by fools.
 Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria if you let it. So I think it fair to say that by any conventional measure, a mere seven years after my graduation day, I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent, and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain, without being homeless. The fears that my parents had had for me, and that I had had for myself, had both come to pass, and by every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew. - J.K Rowling
 We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better. - JK Rowling.


J.K. Rowling Speaks at Harvard Commencement from Harvard Magazine on Vimeo.



J. K.Image via Wikipedia


What amazing woman she is; fail and experience poverty and climb back the ladder victory. Salute.

Regards,

Syawal.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: